What's This All About?

In my words and pictures you will see my life ~ the good days and the better days. (Are there any other type of days?) The title of this blog is inspired by my Late Aunt Lily who lived to see 100 years who always stated "if you don't use you'll lose it". This is all about how we use life to win (never lose) at it according to me!

Friday, March 18, 2011

Just a Minute...

Today was one of those "good" days.  I refuse to have or claim a bad day!  It all started around 8:10AM with Nemo Spedeemo's dental check up.  Basically, the dentist told me to schedule an appointment for 3 months because we will need to see an orthodontist sooner than later...He's got teeth crowding all over the place, growing in places where teeth aren't meant to be...Poor baby! 


Million Dollar Smile and Gazelle's aka Safety Glasses.
 While at the Dentist's office, check my emails (Smartphones were the beginning of the end ~ TFAD), and everything seems to be blowing up...While talking to my co-workers I proceed to drive to the office.  When I get about 15 minutes away from the office (I work about 40 minutes away), my co-worker friend reminds me that I am supposed to be in New Haven at an appointment!  DANG it!!!  (Trying to keep this PG-13) but KD knows the rant that I let out...Clearly, I had to reschedule as I was closer to work then I was to my appointment.

Operation hustle and flow was in full effect in the office...filled with faulty desktops, fire drills, no follow-ups, too much to do, not enough time.  Stress and anxiety was at an ALL TIME high!!!  I still had to make it back down to New Haven to fulfill my appointment obligation before 5P.

Appointment done.  On deck...ElmCity CrossFit for my Workout of the Day (WOD).  The WOD consisted of 10 power cleans at 105# with a 200M overhead walk 1 Round for Time (RFT).  As most CF WOD's, are ~ it was a Monster to get through, but you feel so much better when you do...

Use It Moment:
With all that I do, (I know most of it is self-imposed, but that's my choice...TFAD), it's important that I take "Just a Minute".

  • When I walk into the office, I have a ritual, I put my laptop on the docking station, put in my password, remove any cups of water left over from the day before, go to the kitchen get my tea, and THEN I turn on the lights to my office.  Not a second sooner.  I need just that minute to transition from my commute to my work day.
  • If I WOD at night at ECC, before I change my clothes, I sit in the kids room, once again lights out, in solitude, while the previous class is finishing up their WOD, and do nothing!  I just need that time to once again transition from my commute to the intensity of the WOD.  I guess you can say it's "gettin' my mind right".
  • When my little guy is having a meltdown, or perhaps he is working on his remix CD with "Mommy, Mom, Ma, Mommy, Mom, MOMMY!!!!", I have to take a minute to walk away breathe and come back to him.  It is not his fault that I may have had a bad day or even if he is having a bad day.  He deserves the best ME!  I learned this when he was an infant and if there was a cry that I couldn't soothe, instead of getting all riled up, I took a minute.
  • Just tonight, I was in the ladies room and he found it CRITICAL to wash his hands THEN.  I told him to just give me 37 seconds to myself, he proceeded to tell me he had his eyes closed so it was ok.  I let him know that it was in his best interest to give me a MINUTE!
Lose it Moment:
Have you ever not taken that "minute" and regretted it?!  I know I have.
  • In heated discussions, I have to work on taking a minute before I retaliate.  There are so many hurtful words that have been said just because of not taking a minute.
  • Before WOD'ing, not properly warming up, or post-WOD, not properly rolling out...The next morning, I wish I would have just taken that minute when I can't walk down the stairs without going sideways or sitting down is filled with grunts and heavy breathing.
  • At work, have you ever had a deadline that it was imperative that needed to be met and there were errors in it because you did not have that minute to fully review it, look at it with fresh eyes?
  • There are times, I am ashamed to say, yet honest enough to admit, when I have snapped at Nemo during one of the "remixes".  The disappointment and hurt in his face after I snapped cannot be erased.
Don't lose those "minutes"....There is always someone/something there to steal your time.  But everyone, even our President needs "Just a Minute" to fill out his March Madness brackets (TFAD). 

Are you taking your minute?  I know I am taking mine.  So, if you don't mind, please excuse me, I need Just a Minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment